The Angel, Cookham Churchyard - 1934

Oil on canvas, 70 x 50.8cm

 

The statue of the Angel stands at the entrance to Cookham Churchyard, a place of special significance to Stanley Spencer.  He first painted the subject in 1933 and the work was bought by J. Spedan Lewis, whereupon an important local patron Mrs Mary Corble commissioned him to produce another for herself.  This second version is slightly smaller than the first and has a more serene autumnal feel to it.  It is the only known instance of Spencer repeating a subject.  The painting was later acquired by the artist Gwen Raverat, grand daughter of Charles Darwin, whom Spencer had met and become friendly with at the Slade. 

lent by a private collector